Wednesday 20 November 2013

Via Podiensis (October 17, 2013) - Day 39 Golinhac to Conques

Today was a short easy day of just over 20 kms over 5 hours walking. It was beautiful sunshine all day and was walking again in my shorts.

Last night's supper was the best of my trip so far...felt like royalty with food being brought to my cottage! No I did not drink all that wine!

Best vegetable soup ever!

Small salad
Ham, pate and other



Aubrac beef (super tasty and tender), potatoes

Various cheeses

Myrtille pie

When I woke up this morning I realized that I needed to let go of my disappointment with my iPad experience...decided that my best approach was to simply write my blog on paper and publish later. I immediately felt much better.

A very hearty breakfast picked me up

Some pictures from the day which was very foggy for a few hours...




Dawn & Heather - one of your dad's cars?





Walking early has it's benefits!




Every sign with remaining kms to Santiago is different with very inconsistent distances




Sure glad this wasn't the trail - notice the X on wooden pile
WW1 - Espeyrac where 75 soldiers died

 WW1 - Senergues where 94 soldiers died

Descent into Conques was fairly steep!

Along the way I met and briefly chatted with 5 pelerins from Perpignan who were walking together. I gave then each a Canadian lapel pin...one of them said she had heard of me along the way because of the pins!

Conques is a small but very historic town with a huge cathedral and relic treasures. I walked around for a while and met Ingrid the fellow Canadian from Le Puy en Velay who had chosen to skip the Aubrac plateau.

I sat down at an outdoor cafe with Patrick, Delphine (both were leaving for home), Cyrille and another gentleman (one Canadian lapel pin) and had a beer. Other pictures from Conques.

Timpa above the Cathedral door

Frere Jacques in cathedral

Coffins?

Tonight is likely going to be very special as there are at the Abbaye many pilgrims I have previously briefly met including the 2 Swiss ladies, Patrick, Delphine, Cyrille, Georges, Daniel, Ingrid and Yosh (from Tokyo). The benediction of pilgrims is at 20:30 with an organ concert at 21:00.

Future Pilgrims

I am staying at the Abbaye Sainte-Foy which is a historic, must stay place. Demi pension ranges from 28 euros in a dormitory to 42 euros in a single room. Make a special effort to stay here...you will not regret it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi this one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff
    Great article ...Thanks for your lovely post, the contents are quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.
    custom lapel pins

    ReplyDelete