Monday 9 December 2013

Via Podiensis (November 3, 2013) - Day 56 Arthez-de-Bearn to Navarrenx

Today was another strong day of 31 kms over 7 hours or so...the day had a few tough climbs. I left early just past 7:30 at the same time as Anna from Austria and we walked together over most of the day. Walking together means some talking and walking mostly in sight of the other person...it's not possible to walk and talk all day...too tiring.

Speaking of tiring I was exhausted...more later.

Last night the meal delivered by Chez Celia was outstanding...wine compliments of Georges on his last evening before he sets off to see a pilgrim friend.

Left to right - Cyrille, Claude, Marie, Jean-Michel, Georges and Anna
Delicious soup...almost a stew!
Porc Terrine
Pasta and Beef
Apple pie

Georges and Anna, both vegetarians, received a huge plate to eat...finally for Georges a good meal!

Last night was interesting, challenging...weird and funny as there were 5 of us in a dorm room...Anna, Georges, Cyrille, Jean-Michel and me.

I quickly fell asleep however at 11:30 or so Jean-Michel starting snoring loudly, making all kinds of noise and madly flailing his arms. He had warned us that this could happen. Cyrille cried out "Pas croyable!"...apparently I say this frequently. We all burst out laughing...I dozed for a while but the noise continued. During all this time Jean-Michel slept through it all.

Cyrille in total frustration took all his stuff and went downstairs to sleep on a sofa. Last time I looked at my watch it was 2:30...woke up at 6:30 and simply started to get ready.

Before leaving I shook Georges' hand and wished him Buen Camino. The agreement we are to exchange post cards when each of us get to Santiago de Compostela.

The morning was comfortable for walking however rain was forecast. I was concerned as I twisted my foot leaving the supper table last night and it felt a little tender this morning. I taped it up to give additional protection and all went well.

Anna is a strong walker...she has walked over 1,000 kms. Like many she has left her job...closed a tea shop and hit the road. She phones her husband daily to give him progress reports...he in turn tells her what the upcoming weather will be like. A friend from her earlier walking will join her in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to complete the Camino Frances in Spain. A few pictures from the day before the rain came around 11:30 BIG TIME!





Anna on a long stretch








Navarrenx
Future Pilgrims

Very comfortable in the Communal Gite in Navarrenx.,,picked up key in the local bar. I am in a dorm room for 4 people (Jean-Michel kindly agreed to take a room for one!) and the cost was 11.30 euros per night without breakfast. The Gite is clean and basic and fits the bill just right.

The walking on Le Puy route is really winding down as I expect to be in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on Tuesday Nov 5th and flying home within the week after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment