Wednesday 14 September 2022

Killing a little time

What to do? What to do? Arrived 45 minutes ago at Toronto airport…it’s now 14:30 and plane leaves at 21:50. Have already checked in…did that yesterday to save time…have printed out another paper boarding pass (also have a picture of one, another in my Apple wallet, a PDF version, an email version) AND have printed out the luggage tag for my checked luggage.

Dawn was kind enough to drive me to nearest subway station so that a) I could save time and b) I would not get tired 🥱 after all it’s a little over 1km and I must conserve my strength at my advanced age!

This has nothing to do with being a little overly excited!

Seems like trekking/walking poles are not allowed so I packaged them up in a tube and have stuck the airline luggage tag sticker on…BUT one can’t drop off bags before 4 hours before flight. Come on who came up with that rule? 

So I thought I would take a few moments…while I don’t feel too rushed to thank folks who reached out to me lately with best wishes…very much appreciated! I have cut and pasted portions of comments received below…no names! Note I just went back over emails and I know I also received a number of iMessages, Instagram and WhatsApp as well…all equally appreciated.

“I wish you an amazing trip and look forward to the updates!  Travel well!”

“Good luck Guy!!  Hope all goes smoothly and when it doesn’t you find the joy in the challenge!”

“Hope you have a great time on your trip and stay safe!!”

“Safe travels, Guy. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.”

“Thanks for all of the updates on your next great adventure on the Camino Santiago.  I wish you all the best.  Safe travels and have fun with your traveling companions. I look forward to your blogs as you hike.  (Remember food photos!)”

“Guy,  Best wishes for a flawless Camino.  With HOKA shoes you can't go wrong.”

“Bon voyage Guy. I hope any misadventures are minor and only serve to add to the legend. Enjoy every day and I look forward to your stories.”

“so now allow me to tell you how to count "sleeps". You are not five sleeps away after all. You don't count the last night because you will be so excited you won't sleep. And you don't count tonight because it's so close it's virtually over. So you are actually only three days out - might be two days if you factor in the time difference to where I'm writing from where it's already Monday afternoon. So you'd better get your passport ready. Buen camino!”

“Guy, I wish you a great and safe trip. Take lots of pics and maybe share a few in your posts along the way.”

Now those were all great 👍 and then I received this one from a friend (well kind of🤣) whom I have known for at least 35 years…

So I opened the email…no names here…and started to laugh 😆 and quickly went to Dawn and said you have to read what Cal sent me…sorry should have said C*l…sorry should have said he…no I meant someone sent!

“Well, I suppose it’s too late to convince you to pack some sanity, so I’ll just wish you buena suerte.”

So someone who is really thinking…”Are you nuts? Why would you do this? Geez you still have time to back out…no way would I do this…out etc etc” Simply found it very funny…egging me on as that someone knew very well it would!

Just passing the time away…oh no I have a blue t-shirt…yikes that totally blows my dangerous animals Post!

🤔 Poles as checkin must go through oversized baggage! Small tube…reason I am told is cardboard tube might get crushed…so a little wrinkle in Madrid. Do not expect my walking pole tube to show up in normal manner…will have to find oversized bag counter. Someone will help me…I will simply act lost and helpless…that always works because it’s genuine!

Looks like the Packa will be in use day 1 - Sep 16th 🌧

And now Paulo has to get to Recife airport in time, transfer to another flight in Lisbon to get to Madrid, get SIM card , make that Iberia flight…get to Green Hostal before checkin time closes (plan B in place with early express checkin and entry codes).

Argh…been sitting on tarmac for almost 1.5 hours! Maintenance is trying to fix entertainment system. Really! People are going to be sleeping soon…now project at least a 2 hour delay. Good thing I arrived at airport early - phew 😮‍💨.

Late late news real reason is that they want to make sure there is no underlying technical problem…that makes more sense…🤔😞 Flight attendant was reassuring another person « we have another plane if we need to change » OMG 😱🥱😂

Too much fun…it will all be good!…it will all be good! Now what was Plan B again? 🤔

Hasta Pronto

Guy







2 comments:

  1. Hey Guy! I absolutely love that you are heading off on another adventure and wish you the absolute best with it. I so enjoy reading your blog. Bueno suerte!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mikayla great to hear from you! Hope and trust all is good with you! Thanks for the kind words…tomorrow we walk!

      Delete