Thursday 29 September 2022

Camino San Salvador - Sep 29, 2022 Change in Plans

Cyrille, unfortunately will not be able to join me on the Camino San Salvador, due to a last minute issue. Both Cyrille and I wish it were otherwise but these things happen. He is a good friend and hopefully we will walk again together at some later date.

I am now in Leon in the Hotel Crisos Quindos which is very close to the Plaza San Marcos. I walked down there and it brought back memories of the 2014 Camino Frances when Marc, Paulo and I stayed in the Parador!!


I found the Pilgrims statue and the plaque which shows the divergence of the Camino Frances and the Camino San Salvador…



In many ways this feels like my very first day Camino walking Aug 2013 in Rorschach Switzerland where I arrived alone…in the German part of Switzerland being able to count 1 - 10 in German. Ok I can do a little better in Spanish but…

Paulo just sent me a 2 minute audio of key words in Spanish with the English translation… clearly he is worried a bit…it will all work out just fine.

I opened the river track on Wikiloc and found my way down to the trail by the river so all should be good tomorrow morning.

Took a look at weather forecast over next 5 days and I may just luck out again! No rain foreseen.




Concerning the Tilley Hat fiasco I received a few comments. The first comment made sense to me…may well regain shape after getting it wet and manipulating the shape…but will it dry in time?

The other comment from a long time friend is suspicious:

« I like the new Tilley hat look. It transforms you from kind of nerdish to an Indiana Jones vibe which is quite dashing. »

I can buy the “nerdish” reference very easily but the “dashing”  not so much πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

On to tomorrow and 28 kms!


 


10 comments:

  1. You should shape the Tilley hat to be similar to the statue's hat in the picture ... that would make the look more authentic to the Camino.
    Don't forget to stock up on Snickers bars for this next adventure ... "You're not you when you are hungry"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just bought a 3 pack of snicker bars Greg! As to Tilley hat just going to wear it as is!

      Delete
  2. On reflection, it doesn’t matter if Mr Tilley doesn’t dry - if it’s raining, it will get wet anyway, and if it’s hot, it will cool you nicely. Of course, if it is below zero it may freeze to your head, but that would just serve to provide another photo op and fodder for a good story. And if you happen to see a very similar Grey bucket hat floating in the river, it’s my daughter’s. We couldn’t rescue it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Rachel will be on lookout for your daughters hatπŸ˜‚. I think I will wear the Tilley hat as is for now…a dashing look 🀣

      Delete
  3. Bonne marche et amuse toi bien!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guy, I wish you all the luck on the SAN salvador way. Maybe your Spanish will finally flow! And as your lawyer along the way, I leave my recommendations here. 1. Do the Mr Miagui massage in the mornings and evenings. 2. Stop every 10 to 12 km, to contemplate nature, until you feel cold. 3. Have a canha after each stage, to help rehydration process. 4. And if you want to eat octopus again, that dish is called pulpo Γ  feira. Buen camino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do as my lawyer friend Paulo suggests…at least I will try!

      Delete
  5. Good luck Guy, I'm happy to follow you.
    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pierre …first day completed and it was good!

      Delete