Wednesday 21 September 2022

Camino Primitivo - Sep 21, 2022 Day 6 Grandas de Salime to Fonsegrada

This may be repetitive…maybe even boring but the summary of today is music 🎶 to my ears! We are halfway to Santiago de Compostela…unreal!

Fantastic walking day…brilliant sunshine…walking strongly…met some new people…good food…mostly (not all) good walking paths…tiring but a good 👍 tired feeling…superb countryside views. 🙂

Today we walked 26 kms at a average walking speed of 4.6 kms per hour over 5 hrs 41 minutes. Elevation gain of 823 meters and elevation loss of 447 meters for a combined G/L of 1,270 meters. 

There were some rough ascents early and at the very last coming into Fonsegrada where I met Pierre from Belgium (kept crossing paths over the day) at the side of the trail. I blurted out “This isn’t fair making us work so hard at the end of the day!” Pierre laughed and agreed…then Paulo arrived and I suggested taking a taxi 🚕 for the last 150 meters…I was overruled!

Back to last night where we had a very very good supper! Finally some vegetables!!! Beef medallions and the very famous Tarta de Santiago…delicious!!!


So good I ate a piece before the picture

I often mention ascents in blog postings as they really tire you out however there are little techniques which I find quite helpful. Note others will have different approaches.

   - Try to keep my stride cadence (number of strides per X time period) the same

   - Shorten the stride length 

   - Focus on breathing 😮‍💨 Deep breaths in/out and really slow down breathing so that you are aware of simply relaxing breathing

   - Focus on taking as few stops as possible before reaching the top…stopping for a rest is nice…restarting not so much!

   - When terrain permits walk in a switchback manner…side to side which can really save the knees

When we left this morning it was a little chilly 9C , foggy and somewhat dark out 🙂



Along the way we briefly met Patricia (Japanese documentary). She had a small amount of water left and the Bar cafe was closed so Paulo very nicely offered her some of his water. 

A nice gesture however I did manage to briefly chat with Patricia…first acknowledging Paulo’s gesture AND nicely letting her know that I hoped this would not influence any decisions she would make about who would be in the final cut of the documentary…I think she laughed…well I hope so

I deserve (don’t have a solid reason for saying this…I just  know) and want to be in the Japanese Camino Documentary. It’s my only chance at fleeting fame. I will definitely consider going to Japan for the premiere showing!

We met fewer new pilgrim walkers today however had some meaningful exchanges.

Chris - Germany 2nd Camino. She was going to walk only 5 kms due to a late start 


Brad & Andrea - Boston United States


Don & Leslie - California United States Don thought I was same age as Paulo mid forties 😂 even with all the grey in my beard (so Don is a good guy) I had a great chat on the environment, US politics which is a subject I approach very delicately based on my read of the person 


Raphaela & Constantino - Italy


Early this afternoon we entered Galicia which is really superb area of Spain known for greenery, pulpo (octopus) and rain 🌧!




That’s basically it for the day…tomorrow 24 kms to O  Cadavo without as much ascent and descent…here’s hoping it’s as good a day.


Some other pictures from the day.



















5 comments:

  1. Some folks will do most anything to get in a film :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken it’s my only chance at fame!!!

      Delete
  2. Knowing how much you now respect my advice (Mrs Packa-Suggestor signing in here), I'll whisper a great tip for increasing your Japanese fame chances. Just make sure Paulo doesn't read this. Whisper to Patricia about the Shikoku pilgrimage - you could even promise to walk it and you might become the main subject of your own doco! Paulo could be invited in a supporting role. Patricia too, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Rachael! Haven’t seen Patricia for a few days however she did say the Japanese film crew will be in Santiago de Compostela as she walks in. I am sure that I did mention to Patricia that I walked the Kumano Kodo…Dual Pilgrim and my 15 minutes of fame. She is planning on walking the Shinjuku path next year! What I regret is that I cannot recall mentioning to the documentary film crew in the interview about the Dual Pilgrim certificate. Your comment will spur me on if I see the film crew in the next few days…I will not hesitate to improve my documentary chances 😂

      Delete
    2. * Shinkoku pilgrimage

      Delete