Monday 26 September 2022

Camino Primitivo - Sep 26, 2022 Day 11 Ribadiso to O Pedrouzo

Sunny day in all respects. ☀️We are now 20 kms or so from Santiago de Compostela…for both Paulo and me our 3rd time walking into this amazing city!

As we approach the square in front of the Cathedral we will go through a tunnel where someone will be playing the bagpipes…it’s so neat to hear this…then when we will emerge onto the large plaza where there will be many many pilgrim walkers there!

Some will be lying down on the ground exhausted…some will be dancing…some will be simply milling about…hopefully we will meet some pilgrim friends made on this walk.

I cannot wait for that great feeling of accomplishment having reached the 310+ km goal on the challenging Camino Primitivo!

Last night we had a very enjoyable supper with Didier and Sylvie (France) where we each had a pilgrims menu. My choices (note SALAD!) are shown below. We certainly hope to see Didier and Sylvie in Santiago de Compostela!







Today was an easy walk…nice paths…not the stunning countryside of the past 10 days…however the main story was the sea of people moving to Santiago de Compostela.

We walked 23.3 kms over 4 hrs 37 minutes or an average of 5 km per hour. Total elevation gains 409 meters, elevation losses 448 meters for a total of 857 meters…the lowest so far on the Camino Primitivo.

Had breakfast at 7:00 and then left early to beat the rush…๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ oh my that plan worked for about 30 minutes. It was really quite cold however I stuck to my plan of shorts…3 hours or so later this proved to be a very wise choice ๐Ÿ˜€



In 2014 when completing the 780 km Camino Frances I recall the last day to Santiago de Compostela being similar to today which is the second last day. I can’t imagine what tomorrow will be like!

Unlike yesterday I was simply thankful to be part of this big wave of pilgrim walkers. All shapes and sizes, gender, ages, countries of origin, reasons for walking (some were reciting rosary prayers), levels of fitness, with/without backpacks, injured or not etc…

All walking in unison towards a common goal reaching Santiago de Compostela…nice to have a common goal!

It is really quite amazing to be a small part of this mass movement of people. 

I have included a few pictures of people walking however there is no way to clearly show the numbers…I must have passed a few hundred for sure and been passed by many as well.

In the first picture recommend you expand the picture to try and see the numbers in the background…a big crowd…and we came across this repeatedly during the day.




It is now difficult to greet pilgrim walkers in the same manner as we did on the Camino Primitivo…just too many pilgrims. A few new pilgrims

Santiago - Canary Islands 

Vidal - Lithuania walking from Astoria

Young woman - Indonesia walking from Astoria

Fellow Canadian from Quebec 


By now it will be clear from past blog posts that large parts of the world are well represented on the Camino walks.


I have received a number of comments throughout this walk and all comments received are most welcome. After walking long distances which can be a little tiring ๐Ÿฅฑ at times comments are always really welcome! Thanks ๐Ÿ™. Here are two recent ones…no names.


I had an interesting and fun exchange with a long time friend yesterday…I cut and pasted segments of the exchange.,.


Friend


“If you continue with this "perfecto" walk, you'll be planning your next one on your trip home! At some point, you need to start seeing yourself as a senior citizen, enjoying the vigorous and dangerous aspects of life through reading and watching TV while others put their lives in peril.”


Me 


“…yes I have many further walks planned both in my head and in spreadsheets. My plan is to walk well past 80…as long as my mind and body hold out. Note I fully expect my mind will go first…”


Friend


Oh well, if you’re determined to carry on with future walks, I’ll revert to wishing you good health and good walking.”


Another message really made my day…was funny , creative, and inspirational all at once…๐Ÿ˜€


Your walks motivated me to go for a six mile (9.6 km) walk yesterday.  In the spirit of your blog. I  am sharing stats and a brief recap. 

Total walk time was 1 hour 20 minutes for a rate of  4.5 mph / 7.2 km/hr. 
My speed is of course aided by not having to tote a pack.  It felt really good, and weather was perfect,  about 18 Celsius at 4 pm in the afternoon and walked in a local nature preserve which is a converted golf course. Very flat terrain, with not much elevation change.

 I walked alone. To pass the time, I listened to the radio broadcast of the Phillies/Braves baseball game.

No wildlife sited on the walk, except for a few people out walking their dogs. 

Bon Camino to you,”


So who knows what the future holds and that’s exciting to not know. Paulo has determined that future walks together will coincide with World Cup of Soccer (Football) as we have walked in 2014, 2018, 2022…so 2026 etc…


I’m game as long as the stars align properly…it would really be something to walk in 2056 when I would turn 100 however Paulo will have to do his part as well. ๐Ÿ˜€


Hopefully I can squeeze in a walk or two prior to 2026…non Camino in the U.K. would be fun to do…


One more day to Santiago de Compostela…a little shopping for Rose, Elodie and Rishi (little as I have to carry everything on the Camino Salvador!). 


We have booked a rooftop tour of the Santiago Cathedral for Thursday…go to the pilgrim mass where I hope to see to see the Botufumeiro swing for the 3rd time. We will also see how long the lineup is for getting a Compostela document…if too long forget it!


Other than that just be a tourist for a day and a half. Final Camino Primitivo short blog tomorrow and then resume (hopefully depending on internet availability) starting Sep 30th for the 5 day Camino Salvador with Cyrille. 


The Camino Salvador promises to be as challenging, if not more, than the Camino Primitivo. I hope Cyrille…sorry I meant me ๐Ÿ˜‰ is up the challenge!


A few pictures from today…













I found this sign to be amazing!!! What a nice and true sentiment!





No comments:

Post a Comment