Thursday 21 September 2023

Wainwright’s Coast to Coast Walk - Sep 21, 2023 Day 5 Patterdale to Shap

Daily Information 

Distance:   27.3 Kms   [106.7 Kms]

Walking time:   7h 40m [29h 08m]

Avg walking speed:   3.6 Kms/hr  [3.7 Kms/hr]

Elevation G/L meters: 978:(884)  [4,150:(3,940)]

Total Daily Steps: 46,103 [174,029]

We are out of the Lake District! Incredible scenery…an experience not soon forgotten. So many folks…Nina who we met on Day 1 and again this morning summed it best “I have been in the Lake District many times…never have I seen weather and water like this!”

Today was a very long day…left just before 9:00am and arrived at Brookfield B&B at 6:00pm. This is the latest I have ever arrived in all my long walks. 

Unfortunately breakfast times in the UK are pretty inflexible…8:00 am is the earliest. Well when walking long days this is too late. After a little negotiating tomorrow’s breakfast will be at 7:30am . We have 32kms to go..,the day should be MUCH easier than today…we are told 🤔

Last night we had a neat supper in the Inn…carbohydrate light I understood 😂

Onions, baked potato, tuna salad, coleslaw, cheese

Frances and Richard from New Zealand were there which made for a fun evening of swapping stories. Today we saw them frequently throughout the walk…they are in Shap in a different accommodation.

Richard & Frances New Zealand

At this point I am not sure who is winning the battle…C2C or me. Physically and mentally the hardest thing I have ever done! The mental part is the toughest simply trying to stay on my feet! Man that had been frustrating but it is getting better. Tumble scorecard Day 3 - 8, Day 4 - 4, Day 5 (today) - 2. No new injuries…previous problems slowly improving.

So I am calling it a draw so far between C2C and me! 🤔

Today minimal rain finally!!! The breakdown of my day…

Great start… rainbow…granddaughter Elodie (5) would have loved it…even more if a unicorn would have materialized,


The next 8-9 kms were climbing to the highest peak on the C2C path Kidsty peak. I felt strong..,the legs were cooperating and it was super fun!

Me

Greg

The next 2 kms were dreadful…super steep down where you are often shimmying down on your bum. One pratfall occurred here. Not a great picture however you get the idea of the steep descent.



After the descent the next 5 kms were very poor walking for me..black cloud ☁️ time. I was so fed up with water, mud, rocks, up, down…really not a hamper camper. One splat on my *ss in the mud!

Greg then offered me half a twix bar and some fruit snacks and voila the black cloud lifted and I walked relatively strongly to finish.

One last thing…have been notified that Sept 30th there will be a national rail strike…the day we are travelling back to Gatwick airport 🥲. Have received a lengthy email with multiple links which I am waaaayyy to tired to look at tonight. 

Honestly whoever sent this email must have read my Aug 24th blogpost…😰. Will look at this tomorrow…best course of action is likely to assume our rail travel plans are screwed and look at bus alternatives.

Some pictures from quite the day…































2 comments:

  1. Fantastic pics Guy, have a great walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pierre great to hear from you! Been a real challenge with weather but things have settled down nicely.

      Planning a 2024 Camino with Paulo, maybe we see you again then.

      Take care

      Guy

      Delete