Wednesday 14 June 2023

PEI Island Walk - Map of Actual Walk

Quick post...I have been inundated/swamped with requests (at least 2.. well 3 if you count me as I was curious ☺️) to show where my PEI Island Walk took me. I recognize that the interest in seeing this may be very limited however at my age such thoughts never stop me 🤣.  

My objective was to stitch together the 20 Wikiloc Island Walk tracks to show the complete walk...but how to do this? 

The Wikiloc iPhone app does not have this functionality (I think) so I had this brilliant (for me) thought of seeing if the Wikiloc.com web site allowed a user to do this. 

Bingo by cleverly clicking on the various Wikiloc tracks...which really stretched my technical skills to the utmost...I was able to concatenate my individual 20 day daily routes into my 582 kms modified Island Walk route. I then took a screenshot...saved it in my Photos and voila!!!

Looking at a map of Canada you will see that Prince Edward Island (PEI) is almost perfectly oriented West to East....in the photo below West = go left, East = go right, North = go to top, South go to bottom.

I have no idea how the photo will appear in the daily blog post email. My suggestion...if interested...is to click on the top link View this email in your browser shown above the picture of the Santiago de Compostela Cathedral to obtain a better view of the map. Looking at this on a laptop or desktop is likely best as well.

The Orange line is the Island Walking path and the Green bubbles depict the start and end points of each daily walk.

The Island Walk started in Charlottetown on the South shore...roughly in the middle of the PEI. I then headed West initially, then worked my way to the Northern most point or North Cape. From there the walk turns Eastward and for some time doubles back on the Confederation Trail previously taken to reach North Cape.  

Shortly after the yellow bubble (where I snapped a photo into a Wikilocs daily track) I started walking along the beautiful North shore of PEI until Day 16 New Zealand + 10kms. At that point my walk came to a screeching halt at the Red bubble.

Four days later...after shuttles galore I started up again at Gaspereaux which is the furthest Eastern Green bubble and over the next 4 days walked Westward back to Charlottetown. The missed Island Walk is simply the area between the Red bubble and the Green Gaspereaux bubble. Thinking about this a little more I can honestly say that I walked/shuttled the entire PEI Island Walk! 🤣

Well that’s my shot at depicting my crazy Island Walk...any concerns/ridicule etc. on my attempt to describe my walk will be listened very attentively and then well kindly... On to September Coast to Coast walk in England!


2 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe you missed out East Point and West Point - surely, they'd have been worth a detour;) And walking Alaska to New Zealand would have been quite bragworthy. Feel free to request my services on any future escapades - I do have fabulous ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness..when I first read your comment I was speechless…brilliant…however I have since recovered. As to West Point my only defence is that it simply wasn’t on the official path…yes I must be more flexible in future walks 😂. For East Point the walk would have gone straight there however I was “otherwise indisposed” and spending my time occupied with other matters 🥲. However how did I EVER MISS the opportunity to walk from Alaska to New Zealand??? Great catch…man that would have been blogworthy! In the future I may publish my route in advance in the hopes that such opportunities can be pointed out to me by attentive (you!) readers 😊🤣

      Delete