Tuesday 4 October 2022

Camino San Salvador - Oct 4, 2022 Day 5 Mieres to Oviedo

Success…made it!!! I am in Oviedo…I have received my Salvadorum certificate of completion for the Camino Salvador!

I know I take awesome selfies…almost managed a full head shot! How are you supposed to hold a camera at arms length and actually hit the circle to take a picture? 😊




And my real prize…ice cream!!! Note I was told by a very knowledgeable blog reader that the new Tilley hat looks “dashing” so that’s all the encouragement I need πŸ˜‰


Somehow this walking adventure all came together…wow..looking back to 2018 Camino Portuguese I hobbled into Santiago de Compostela the last day. I enjoyed this last day so much…an 18.9 km walk in the park!

So many changes were made from 2018…equipment, physical training…essentially walking a few kms in Toronto πŸ˜‚ and getting my mental side focused on what I believed I was capable of doing. However…as has happened so often in my life…I was simply so incredibly fortunate! 

Remember no rain at all for 17 days…here is the forecast for Oviedo over next few days! Some 🌧!


Weather was perfect…no injuries…no dangerous animals…superb walking countryside…great company! All good! Well maybe the Spanish speaking part was a little…absolutely pathetic Guy!

Today’s walk is summarized below…



In the grand tradition of enjoying numbers…I can’t be the only one 🀣… here are the stats for the two Camino 2022 routes πŸ˜‚ and a few for overall Camino walking.

Camino Primitivo 

Total kms walked - 315

Kms per day walked - 26.3

Elevation gains - 7,315 meters

Elevation losses - 7,764 meters

Time walked - 66.5 hours

Average kms/hr - 4.7 kms per hour 

Camino San Salvador 

Total kms walked - 126

Kms per day walked - 25.2

Elevation gains - 2,924 meters

Elevation losses - 3,477 meters

Time walked - 28.2 hours

Average kms/hr - 4.5 kms per hour 

Total Camino Primitivo & San Salvador 

Total kms walked - 441

Kms per day walked - 25.9

Elevation gains - 10,239 meters

Elevation losses - 11,241 meters

Time walked - 94.7 hours

Average kms/hr - 4.65 kms per hour 

Everest is 8,838 meters high πŸ˜‚ Take that Everest!!!

New Camino totals

Number of routes walked - 8

Total kms - 3,441 +/- 2 kms margin for error πŸ˜‚

Number of days walked - 122

Average kms per day - 28.2

Camino 2026…Paulo I will start planning in a year or so πŸ˜‚ or maybe before…never know! You will be 50 my friend (69 for me) so I will have to factor in your advanced age in planning…πŸ˜‰ As we have discussed…remember I am a Canadian and you well…are not πŸ˜‚ so we must adjust what can be done for you…kidding…just a little 😊

To everyone who has read postings on this adventure and my attempts to provide a taste of what Camino walking is…adding a little humour (well I will always try - my objective is if 1 in 10 things make you smile or chuckle it’s a success) and a slice of some difficult and very good moments a simple heartfelt thank you πŸ™.

You would be surprised…or maybe not depending how well you know me…how much enjoyment I get while walking and looking for those moments that might be blog worthy…just pure fun! Apparently I have a tell tale stupid look when I am about to say something I think funny…remember 1/10 objective…imagine the poor pilgrim walkers around me seeing this…

On to catching a bus and a flight home πŸ₯°πŸ˜Š Will see if the spirit moves when I get home for a final blog posting…maybe after my non Actuarial analysis…if not the blog goes silent until the next adventure…at least I can dream!

Late breaking news…in Madrid Barajas Airport…did not even realize that my credit card allowed me access to this VIP lounge…food/drink everywhere…comfortable chairs…I think I only have 4 passes a year but I just waltzed in…holy moly…amazing place…must do this more often πŸ˜‚. Can’t get too comfortable here though…flight leaves in 5 hours…no gate yet 😊. 

Too funny after all this time walking on roads, trails of all sorts…getting a little 🀣 muddy…I even tried to clean up a bit….cleanish clothes …I think I just fit in…other than my backpack… but NOT wearing my Tilley hat!πŸ˜‚ HOKA Speedgoats are a dead giveaway though…they look like they have been through a war…

I think the trick is to just pretend like I belong here…wonder if someone will pick up my dirty plate once I leave to sit in a comfy chair…they must don’t see anywhere to return it πŸ˜‰

What a crazy way to finish the walk…


A few pictures from today…enjoy your day!



























16 comments:

  1. FΓ©licitations et bon retour Γ  Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! J’aimerais bien savoir qui m’envoie ces beaux messages! Didier/Sylvie peut-Γͺtre?

      Delete
  2. Hi Guy,
    Congratulations on completing your Camino in one piece. It has been great following your adventure and I always enjoy your humorous anecdotes (especially at the expense of retired Systems Architects) (Ok, not really the latter part).
    I am looking forward to your almost an Actuary post Camino analysis.
    You will have to contact me by email to start planning the Coast to Coast Walk! Or better yet, you do the planning and tell me what to bring ... If you remember my desk at work, I will start stocking up on Snickers bars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg,

      Great to hear from you! It was a really good but challenging walk. Will try to do my best on the non Actuarial analysis. Sounds like you have some interest on Coast to Coast walk…will start looking into this…can’t jump in just yet πŸ˜‚. No question C2C would best be done through a company that books accommodation…an option is they even carry bags if someone wants however not sure the purist in me could go for that. Will drop you an email to see what is possible. One of our mentors just walked a path in Scotland…wonder if he would have any interest…you never know πŸ€”

      Delete
    2. Guy - like Greg, I look forward to the actuarial analysis of all this. Great to keep up with your exploits. Stay in touch.

      Delete
    3. Ross πŸ˜‚ As you may know or not there are 4 Actuaries in the family, Dawn (wife), two daughters and son-in-law and at some point in my life I was a 70% Actuary but… Now if I want to make this analysis overly complicated I would ask for some help but believe me I won’t. As an aside 3rd daughter (non Actuary and proud of it) once blurted out at a family dinner…”This is a very sick family!” πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  3. Well done Guy on completing the San Salvador, sounds like an extra day would have made it a bit easier, great achievement to do the two back to back.
    All the best for thefuture, John and Carmel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John and Carmel! It is a great walk but definitely would take
      an extra day. If you are still considering let me know at some point through WhatsApp. Honest opinion not a typical Camino feel if you are looking for a lot of pilgrim walker interaction and Buen Caminos but an awesome mountain walking experience. Maybe our paths will cross again sometime…would be nice! Take care Guy

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Guy - I'll have to keep following to see if your Packa becomes anything other than a great insurance policy in the future! Actually, it's interesting to see someone else's journey and be able to think "Oh, I remember that" or "How did I manage to miss that?" I thought I would never rewalk the same route, but my husband missed out on the Salvador/Primitivo the first time I did it with kids so we ended up going back and doing it again with him. Never say never! Now there are way too many others to get to.....
    ~Rachael, the PackaRecommender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise words Rachael “never say never”! Yes the Packa was a great insurance policy…muchas gracias for the recommendation! These two Caminos are incredible…I am so glad and fortunate to have walked them! My “never” is totally influenced by “how could the experience be possibly improved?” Who walks 17 days without rain? Get a Packa!πŸ˜‚. Thanks for following, your recommendations and fun comments! Buen Camino on your next walk Rachael! Guy

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Guy! Well done. I’ve enjoyed your blog. Look forward to the next one…. And I do believe those were beehives you passed! Enjoy the fancy lounge - you deserve it. Have a safe trip home. 😊🐝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Anonymous! Glad you enjoyed my ramblings…Always difficult to guess who Anonymous is but going to take a wild guess…any chance you go by DLR? 🐝 πŸ€” thought those had to be beehives as well. As to the next adventure who knows…this one will stand out for quite a while. Take care Guy

      Delete
  6. Well done Guy. Congratulations.
    Thanks for the time together on the Primitivo.
    Have a safe flight home, a wonderfull camino in 2026 with Paulo and a fantastic life.
    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pierre…I enjoyed our time Tiguan the Camino Primitivo as well! Who knows maybe we see you in 2026! That would be super! Take care Guy

      Delete
  7. Job well done Guy! I am very happy to read you made it to Oviedo to complete Camino Salvador! Greetings from Czech :) Jaroslav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaroslav great to hear from you! Thanks πŸ™ Both Paulo and I enjoyed meeting and walking with you on the Camino Primitivo and wish you success going forward!

      Delete