Saturday 1 October 2022

Camino San Salvador - Oct 1, 2022 Day 2 La Robla to Poladura de la Tercia


Wow!!!…weather perfect again…up to Buiza a very pleasant easy walk with some nice views…after Buiza the magic of this Camino started. 

Pilgrim walkers met so far - zero so new friends - zero 😂

Mountain walking at it’s finest..,some trails reminded me of Nepal on a much smaller scale…others of the Iceline trail in the Canadian Rockies! That was enjoyable…that was fun!

Overall a somewhat challenging day (challenging past Buiza) at 24.1 kms over 5 hours and 10 minutes at an average speed of 4.6 kms per hour. Elevation gains 600 meters, elevation losses 356 for a total gain/loss of 956 meters.

Last night I received iMessages from my Family group (in Toronto)…”Pizza night who wants in?” Before I even had a chance to respond I saw “Papa you are not invited!” WHAT? Just because I am in Spain? So I decided I wanted pizza also and found a great place in La Robla and…it was delicious pizza! Even had a little Postre to finish!

Too much though so I had the bright idea of keeping about half for breakfast this morning. Well this morning I decided to Google “pizza not refrigerated overnight’”

🙄 Not surprisingly a very poor idea to eat the remaining pizza so unfortunately I went to Plan B…see massive croissant below! 



Started early again just before 7:30 however a very pleasant street light walk out of La Robla…




Morning flew by quickly as the walking was essentially flat…






The Aquarius drink and the complimentary tortilla were a welcome break around 11 kms. Whenever you order a beverage bars in Spain will usually add a complimentary little snack…nice touch!

Buiza was the last village just before a tough climb  into true mountain country where the views were superb!



Note the little blue dot at the top of the highest elevation…THAT’s ME after a looonng climb up! Then the views opened up….note the lower of the two trail lines in first photo…that is where the Camino San Salvador goes.




In an earlier Blog Posting on Fear of Heights I indicated that I am not comfortable with heights generally except…on a hiking path which allows access away from the height exposure drop.

This was such a path and I walked comfortably…nevertheless it is wise to concentrate at such times and not lose sight that going too far to the right is not a good idea!!! Here a a few pictures of a particularly interesting trail path section.








After a great walk I arrived at the Posada del
Embrujo which may be the best accommodation yet on either Camino!!! I was asked if I wanted to eat…sure…at 2:30 along with others in the dining room I was served a 5 course menu NO BOCADILLO! 

The owner used her iPhone and Google translate to communicate…I would see the Spanish text and the English text…it was very effective. The meal was delicious!

Prawn cake



Did not catch the name -  cheese filling

Leeks with tuna!

Chorizo sausage with potatoes and avioli sauce

Beef elbow with tomatoes and seasoning 

White chocolate mousse

Tomorrow on to Benduenos Albergue…the owner here reiterated “The best day…spectacular”. It will be a long monster day…with high elevation gains/losses. Wikilocs trail stats - 30.2 kms, 1,142 meters elevation gain, 1,753 meters elevation loss…by far the most challenging day yet on either the Camino Primitivo and the Camino San Salvador. 

So the plan for tomorrow’s blog is very simple…few words…I will simply let the pictures do the talking!

A few additional pictures from the day…



























4 comments:

  1. Enjoying the reports Guy, whetting the appetite, safe walking. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John…it’s been quite the walk. Not much of a Camino feeling I would say but a beautiful walk. Definitely recommend taking more than 5 days though 🤔

      Delete
  2. Guy, very cool to follow the continuity of your path. I see you are still eating well. that's it. the idea of ​​google translate is very good. About the pizza, I've eaten sleep pizza several times out of the fridge. no problems. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have asked my Brazilian friend about cold pizza left on counter!

      Delete