Sunday 2 October 2022

Camino San Salvador - Oct 2, 2022 Day 3 Poladura de la Tercia To Benduenos

Awesome day …mountain views and weather incredible…however I am beyond tired. It was a challenging day physically and mentally…as tough a walking a day as I can ever recall.

Wikilocs Ender tracks are simply essential in my opinion and they saved me more than once today! If anyone reading this is considering the Camino San Salvador please contact me directly and I will provide more info.

One incredible story today…a Camino Angel. I use Angel not in a religious sense but as someone who displayed extreme kindness to me at exactly the right time. This has happened a few times in the past on Camino walks.

In an around 14km in today, after completing the most difficult sections of the walk I was really struggling. My energy levels were dropping…I had 3 snicker bars, 1 chocolate bar, almonds and 2.5 litres of water.

No bar, restaurant of any kind anywhere over 30+ kms.

I was coming down a steep hill…covered in loose rock…scree and my left foot slipped. Down I went…not hurt however for 30 seconds or so I could not move. No energy at all!

So I gave myself a pep talk “quit feeling tired Guy…get up and get going…no one is coming with food and drink!” So I rolled on my knees and using my poles to lever myself up…think newborn horse!

I continued slowly and a couple of kms later I came to a small village. A man came out of his car as I was passing his house and asked “do you need water…breakfast…anything!”

I stopped and am not sure what I said but before I knew it he had spoken to his wife and I was upstairs in his house!

Picture below was waiting for me! Secondino and Julia and I talked for half an hour…they even offered me a place to stay the night as pilgrim walkers often can’t make it to Benduenos.

I will never ever forget their kindness! After thanking them profusely I walked with renewed energy with tears in my eyes …these people moments are the real highlights…they saw a need and completely met it 🙏




The days stats are summarized  below 


I received a very good question about why I show totals for elevation gains/losses. I have seen this used before however thinking about it this number doesn’t mean too much.

When I get home, in my spare time 😂, I will take a look at this. There is a recognized rule Naismith which factors in complexity for ascents vs descents…a small future project 😉

Two days left both short days 23, 20 kms. I am going to enjoy them. An incredible experience…I am looking forward to coming home!

Pictures as I walked today…yes you will see cows in my way…walked right past them!



































4 comments:

  1. Bravo! Plus que deux jours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. guy; what an amazing story. reading your report, it occurs to me that the solitude of the path must be one more challenge. taking a fall, alone, and still with a considerable step ahead must have been a great challenge. I'm glad you found these angels of the way, who regardless of your secular vision, practice love among men, giving to those in need, compassion and solidarity. Go ahead my friend, only two days to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paulo…thanks it was a very special moment…now would be a good time to enter a bet with your Father. I am so close…18 kms!

      Delete