Monday 3 October 2022

Camino San Salvador - Oct 3, 2022 Day 4 Benduenos to Mieres

Quite a different day from yesterday 😊 easy walking except for a few tricky descents, limited views as most of the day was on various road surfaces. No rain 16 days in a row!!! 

This is the type of day I personally refer to as Point A to Point B walking…the main objective is simply to cover the distance. That’s ok as not every day on a Camino is scenic and the reasons for walking the Camino San Salvador are now great memories 😊

Yesterday after arriving at the Benduenos Albergue I was surprised that I was the last one in AND that I was not alone…6 pilgrim walkers were there! How did that happen? Well that was solved quickly when someone asked me where I started this morning.

Poladura de la Tercia…hmmm I got some very surprised looks and comments…”really…holy that must have been hard walking etc” Sooo…the 6 other pilgrim walkers had completed the same stage as mine in 2 days!

Before anyone out there says “Guy how could you? Can you not plan? Your not 25?  Etc etc” I have  a defence. I simply followed a guide compiled by Ender which laid out a 5 day plan. I was also influenced by a very well known Pelegrína in her early 70s who walked the Camino San Salvador in 4 days instead of my 5.

Would I do it again you ask? Are you crazy…of course I would take an extra day! Way too difficult!

However there won’t be a next time for either the Camino Primitivo or the Camino San Salvador. There are too many other things to do…why do the same thing twice? Also…perfect weather this time…what are the chances of that happening again!

Here is a group picture of the pilgrim walkers taken at supper time. From right to left Byron Malaysia, Jean-Pierre and Nadine France (walked most of my Camino routes and more), me, Jose-? Spain, Jose-? Spain, Victoria Slovakia.


An Albergue like this was a new experience for me…one room 8 beds (one empty), two washrooms downstairs on a spiral staircase (fun in middle of night), lights going on off, various noises, pack at foot of bed…communal meal prepared by Sandra the Hospitaleria.

Lentil soup and pasta…sooo delicious 😋 



Somehow I managed a pretty good nights sleep despite the various noises…lights etc.

Byron who recently completed the 2nd half of the Camino Frances from Burgos, Camino Finistère and after the Camino San Salvador will walk the Camino Primitivo was the “official photographer”

A few of Byron’s photos…including the last two of me as I was leaving this morning…








Sandra has a few four leaf clovers in a little cup!


The setting for the Benduenos Albergue is stunning at the top of a ridge overlooking a valley surrounded by mountains. It’s run on a Donativo basis…give what you can or want…I looked at it as another night so likely left a generous € amount.

I’m very glad I went out of my normal comfort zone to stay at Benduenos Albergue…met some really nice folks …the first in 3 days. Most of the conversation was in Spanish however Nadine was kind enough to translate key points.

Walking alone is fine with me…as I mentioned in an earlier post with Paulo I end up walking alone a good part of the day…comes with being an introvert. However I also like meeting new people…always something to talk about it seems…learn a little bit about them…their country…their walk. 

My preferred accommodation arrangement is what Paulo and I did on numerous occasions on the Camino Primitivo…share a private room within an Albergue which also has dorms. Best of both worlds…privacy and opportunity to meet others.

Todays stats are shown below…they will be part of a  non Actuarial analysis post walk😂


On to tomorrow the final walking day…will be different as it’s short and I have an overnight bus at 22:30 to Madrid airport and my flight home 😊 the next day!

Here is tomorrow’ forecast…do I hear 17/17 days no rain? Packa has simply done a superb job!


A few pictures from the day…remember slim pickings!

















3 comments:

  1. Guy; It was a pleasure to follow his blog as a mere reader. his accounts, in fact, portray the true experience of the path. one more day day! keep swimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulo…on to 2025 my friend!

      Delete