Thursday 2 March 2023

Oh my goodness technology is fun 😳 What a mess!

My last blog posting Various and Sundry Update was an unmitigated mess 😳...sorry about that!


I amam not going to blame any particular system development area for this. Could be poor Business specs, lousy System programming, System Project Manager lapses, System Analysis flaws, flamboyant recommendations from outside Consultants, shoddy Executive leadership, rotten System Architect recommendations.

No let’s chalk it up to terrible Business Leadership. There I have finally admitted that Business Leadership can sometimes be a little problematic... thankfully I am long gone from that game ☺️😂.

Ok here is what I have been able to ferret out.

iPhone or Other

Email sent by MailChimp was totally unreadable with super small text and gigantic pictures...absolute garbage. If you want to look at this blog posting on your smart phone please go to your favourite browser Safari, Chrome etc and type in caminolongwalk.blogspot.com. There you will see the various postings and if you click on the one you want it’s pretty easy (maybe not worthwhile 😂) reading.

On the Various and Sundry Update the map of Alexander Campbell’s world walk is absolutely tiny...no idea why!

Laptop/Desktop

Option 1 - MailChimp email is perfectly readable however you have to contend with huge shoes (nice colour though...socks received look ridiculous with shoes but no one will notice ☺️) with some blank spaces. However it’s much better than iPhone MailChimp email. Let’s call this option one that didn’t fully go through system testing process.

Option 2 - Go to bottom of MailChimp email and at bottom left click on Read On and you will get what I call the Web version (Business tech talk here). Overall the very best view of the email...the Alexander Campbell world map is huge and goes beyond the borders however this seems perfectly ok to me as it is an incredible endeavour.

I am quite sure the problem is likely my copy/paste of the Alexander Campbell world walk from his website. Why no idea of course!

So that’s my best shot at explaining the options...perhaps someone much more tech savvy than me (not hard) will have better ideas. I think I better stick to walking 🥲 as at least I understand how that works ☺️.

Also Greg has correctly pointed out that I may have stretched my story about how he did not want me to run in the 4x400 meter relay. On Sunday between the last two responses shown below I did contact Greg (sort of forgot I did this or did I remember but it didn’t fit my story 🤔) and I have inserted this in the exchange below. Now Greg and I both know that his comment about being “all set to include Guy...” is well...

So in fairness to Greg I may have slightly exaggerated his “terrible treatment” of me 😉. The facts are I was totally unsuited to run in the 4x400m, never had an intention of doing so, Greg clearly knew this but played along and then a story emerged. In the end just friendly repartee between two 60+ year olds. Yes I started it…again 😇

It’s ok to be a little silly at times…life moves along at warp speed…if not now when will be a good time to laugh at something totally not important?

Greg - Cutthroat Response

Lol!  Just because you signed up for the newsletter doesn’t mean you are a member! You have to pay money to athletics Ontario!!

Anyway you have until Saturday to become a member.  We have to name the team Saturday afternoon by around 2:00. So you have until then to prove your worthiness. (Autocorrect wanted to say worthless…lol!!!)

Gregs additional Comment

Just to be clear ... I received this text from Guy at 1:08 on Saturday:

"Good run Greg! Man that sure looks crazy fast to me. I am hereby withdrawing from consideration for the relays. Fun to watch ... that "M62" is a tough competitor. Stay calm and cool and do well in your other races!"

I was all set to include Guy in an M60+ 4x400 team, especially with his new fancy shoes, but he made a hasty retreat from the track shortly after the 800M race, so that I couldn't even try to talk him into running the relay!

Greg - Final Insult

Since you backed out, we do not have enough for a 4x400 team.  But we should be fine for the 4x800 tomorrow (no you do not need to step up for that).

Now tell me WHEN did I back out? 😇 Hmmm…well maybe I kind of sort of did!




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the correction Guy.
    Greg - Final insult (Not really): I am sure you saw that there were all calibers of athletes participating in the meet, so you could have blended in ... after you get lapped once, people don't notice and will cheer for the participants' regardless of how slow or fast they are ... as you pointed out it is not about setting records or winning, but the camaraderie and joy of participating.
    We are going to have lots of fun on our C2C walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Greg about participation at meet. I think it was the 800m heat before you where an older fellow took just under 8 minutes to complete and when he did he received a big cheer…classy crowd. C2C should be fun…a real challenge. Now I am hoping that you will be comfortable in expressing your opinion on the walk 😂 especially when route decisions are required…and this will happen! The real adventures often happen when ahem route errors are made 😳

      Delete
  2. When have you known me to not express my opinions! LOL!
    As long as you can tell "left" from your "other left" we should be fine or lost, but it will definitely be an adventure!

    ReplyDelete