Friday 15 July 2022

Planning - Weather Rain/Snow/Hail/Heat - 60 Days to Go


Planning for weather events is…a little tough to do 😳. Most days are glorious especially as I have walked primarily in the spring and fall (favourite season). However its always those outlier days that require the planning, equipment and maintenance of as positive a mind set as possible…admittedly I have on occasion failed 😞 in the latter!


Without question the highest risk weather related event is heat. I started my Camino long walk on August 1st (only time walked in summer) in Switzerland in the midst of a heat wave. That combined with other issues mentioned in a previous blog made for a tough start…as the first day turned out be be 35 km in 30+C heat.

I did my very best to hydrate over the first couple of weeks by drinking water at every opportunity and ended up becoming a big fan of Aquarius drinks.



I also remember on a few occasions buying Classic Coke…something I never do at home…needed the sugar as I was walking on empty.

Rain is the most common weather issue…thunderstorms are the real threat here and yes I have been caught more than a few times. I am not the bravest soul in the world with regards to thunderstorms…so I quickly find the best cover available and wait it out.

Rain protection is probably one of the most debated topics on the Camino Forum! So many opinions…so many options…however the long and the short of it is…if you walk long enough you will get soaked one day and most/if not all your rain ☔️ defences will have failed 😞.

This is not being pessimistic…it simply will happen and you either accept it and dry out later or grumble 😠…I have done both! I generally enjoy walking in the rain however the cold hard driving wind whipped rain 🌧 leads to the grumbling.

Rain ponchos vs Goretex rain jacket and pants

I started off in 2013 with an Altus rain poncho shown below. Seemed like the perfect solution and many swear by the Altus however I found it extremely hot 🥵…feels like it's raining inside the poncho when sweating and try putting this on when it’s windy...comedic relief...sort of like trying to fly a kite 🪁 



I then moved on to Goretex rain jacket/pants and backpack rain cover. Sure a number of steps however in heavy rain you suit up once and away you walk. 

The jacket and pants also double up as extra layers in windy cool weather or walking in town in the evening. This way I maintain my snazzy looking self…Tilley hat included…as opposed to walking around in my Altus poncho. Have to keep looking good and maintain my carefully developed style sense and panache. 😂.

Goretex or Non Goretex shoes 

Again the subject of many debates…I have tried both and honestly in steady/heavy rain walking through puddles Goretex shoes will not keep you dry. In hot weather Goretex shoes make your feet hot even if they are designed to breathe so…non Goretex for me.

I also believe that most serious backpackers…with much more experience than me choose non Goretex.

Other rain protection

Backpack contents should be placed where possible in some kind of protective bag…I have one meant for canoeing where I keep next day clothes.

It’s also a very good idea to place all backpack contents in a large plastic bag (garbage bag will do) within the backpack.

Finally for whatever electronic devices, passport and other valuables you should invest in some kind of weatherproof pouch…sure iPhone 13 is water resistant to X feet for Y minutes. Well some rain days will be Y+++ minutes.

Now with all this weather prep and potential for a few tough days why walk? Again these days are outlier days which in no way outweigh the fun and delight of simply being outdoors, moving and exploring! Even with the very best of things there are occasional downsides😊.

Here are a couple of YouTube videos completed by a well known pilgrim/walker Efren Gonzalez who uses drones to capture some incredible footage. Unfortunately no short video available for Camino Primitivo. I only include them here in case someone is interested.

Camino Primitivo (Long video 48 minutes)


Camino Salvador (Short video 3.5 minutes)


Camino Salvador (Long video 36 minutes)


A few stories from my blog and past weather related experiences while walking Camino paths…these were some of the more interesting 🤨 and challenging days!

Via Podiensis (November 4, 2013) - Day 57 Navarrenx to Urhad Mixe


Only one way to describe today...absolutely BRUTAL walking...30 kms in 7.5 hours of which 5+ hours were in rain. A good portion of the day was spent in a hard driving rain...the type where you feel like every part of you is going to...and eventually does get wet.

The camera was put away early and then placed in the pocket of my weatherproof GORETEX jacket. Yeah sure! At the time of this writing the camera is not working as the pockets of my coat were PUDDLES...not impressed and a hard lesson to learn. So far I have confirmed that the photo card is still OK...plugged in phone battery and we will see if camera still works.

Via Podiensis (October 12, 2013) - Day 34 Saugues to Les Faux


Today it started snowing softly and then as the day progressed, especially in open areas, it started falling quite heavily at times. With the wind blowing in my face it felt like being back home in winter thankfully with mild temperatures hovering around zero. Honestly at times the visibility wasn't great and I had to be careful with route signage.

Because the temperature wasn't that cold I was never too concerned however gloves and layers were really required... being Canadian also helped. A few pictures from the day:






Pelerin Tracking

Sometime before La Clauze I came across pelerin tracks in the snow

Pelerin Tracks in the Snow

Camino Finisterre (May 20, 2014) - Day 87 Negreira to Olveiroa


Not much to be said today...absolutely soaked as we walked 34 kms over 6.5 hours. The day was split into sections...the first 3 hours it rained/poured continuously...the next 3 hours it rained lightly on and off with the sun making a brief appearance...the final 30 minutes it just poured!

Everything we own is wet...trying out best to dry out at the Casa Loncho in Olveiroa...last night booked a room for the three of us for 20 Euros each. At this point this was a golden decision!

Camino Portuguese (March 4, 2018) - Day 1 Lisbon to Parque de Nações

Well it rained...it poured...we are soaked but it was great to walk again following the yellow arrows! Map my Walk app measured 14.3 kms from our hotel in Lisbon.

Here is a selfie taken mid walk

Essential key rain defences worked...passport...euros..iPhone. All other defences failed miserably starting with my world's best Arteryx rain jacket...I had puddles in my pocket...no I did not forget to zip the pocket!

The bottom of my backpack was super wet...rain cover could not handle the heavy downpours. My pants were drenched (on the plus side they dry quickly) as I forgot to wear my rain pants...yes I simply forgot...not kidding! It happens to the best of us!

Lisbon is very hilly and streets and sidewalks are often cobblestones especially in the Alfama district. This is a rough combination when walking in the rain as everything is slippery...we were careful and all was good.

Camino Portuguese (March 5, 2018) - Day 2 Parque de Nações to Vila Franca de Xira

Brutal! Today was my 90th day of walking Camino trails and I will remember it fondly!

Let me see...36.2 kms (was supposed to be 32 kms) over 7.5 hours with 5 hours of rain! There was a stretch of maybe 45 minutes where the rain was freezing, heavy and whipped by a wicked wind. It got so bad that I was worried that my prized Tilley hat held by two straps would fly away and it had to be hidden under a hood. Imagine that I would no longer look sharp!

Oh and did I mention the mud (see picture) walking through massive puddles and getting many booters. I felt like I was skating on mud and came very close to a number of pratfalls. The scenery oscillated between industrial wasteland and a few nice stretches along the water.


Camino Portuguese (March 6, 2018_ - Day 3 Vila Franca de Xira to Azambuja

Water, water, water...it's absolutely everywhere in fields, streams, running down roads, roads turned into mud but mostly on my head, soaking my shirt, in my pants and turning my shoes into waterskiing shoes.


I have noticed a dark cloud that is always just above my head...time for that cloud to disappear! Rain tomorrow and after that no rain...I hope!

Today it rained...sometimes in buckets...other times a light drizzle...some stretches of no rain!

Next blog posting Dangerous Animals.

1 comment:

  1. Time to try the Packa - Google it. I’ve walked for a week in driving rain and everything inside my pack stayed dry. Can’t speak highly enough of it. See my photos on charitywalking.Wordpress.com for pictures and proof!

    ReplyDelete