...to actually walking a Camino route again. It’s been quite the journey over these past 2 years. Paulo has boarded his flight scheduled to arrive in Porto Portugal tomorrow at 9:15am. I am patiently waiting for my Air Transat flight (arrived at the airport a wee bit early...no need for details...it is what it is ☺️) which is on time and scheduled to arrive in Porto tomorrow at 11:45am.
The Journey (Coles notes)
- Plan 1 Fall 2024 early Jan 2024 was the KAdventures Choquequirao to Machu Picchu Peru walk. We were within a couple of days of paying our deposits then... medical tests revealed I required surgery. Scheduled for mid June 2024. No Go
- Plan 2 Fall 2024 changed to the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome in Italy as Machu Picchu trek bookings did not meet KAdventures minimum requirements. Detailed planning completed...I then realized/accepted that post surgery recovery would clearly preclude walking. No Go
- Plan 3 Spring 2025 Via Francigena again...phew reusing a Plan!☺️. Paulo suffered a leg injury requiring physiotherapy rehabilitation. No Go
- Plan 4 Fall 2025 planning has had numerous twists and turns finally landing on a Combined Camino Ingles (A Coruna start) to Santiago de Compostela (SdC) followed by the Camino Invierno (Ponferrada start) to SdC.
However severe wildfires in the Camino Invierno area resulted in switching to Plan 5 below. The following reinforced this was a wise choice.
- Plan 5 Fall 2025 - Combined Camino Ingles (A Coruna start) to SdC followed by the Camino Norte (Luarca start) to SdC.
- 318 kms; 14 days or 26.6 Adj kms* per dayWhen Plan 4 was created I knew there was a risk...however the plan was so neat ☺️ that I just pushed it to the “no worries...will not happen” camp.
Plan 5 Fall 2025 while intriguing…didn’t have quite the same pizzaz and the very same risk now bubbled to the...”a tad worried...if this/that happens...how do we handle?" camp π₯²
Risk: If we can’t complete the Oct 4th 10km walk for whatever reason...late plane arrivals, Antonio cannot drive etc. then some very quick alternative decisions in the Porto airport will be required.
Approach: 6 “just in case" alternative high level plans were developed and off they went to Paulo.
After sleeping on this...and almost certainly even before Paulo read my plans... I fired off a “streamlined approach” to Paulo narrowing the 6 potential “just in case” alternative plans to 2
__________________________________________________________________________
Adjusted Camino Inglis & Camino Norte - Luarca start
Cancel & Revise all Accommodations on Camino Inglis; no changes for Camino Norte
- 318 kms; 13 days or 28.7 Adj kms per day
Oct 4th revised transportation 16:55 Vueling flight transferring in Barcelona arrive A Coruna ~ 24:00
Comment: A viable alternative. Doable if last minute Vueling flights are available; smooths out daily Camino Inglis walking however long final 30 km day into Santiago de Compostela on the Camino Inglis route
__________________________________________________________________________
Camino Norte - Aviles start
Cancel all Accommodations on Camino Inglis; New Camino Norte starting point Aviles
- 318 kms; 13 days or 29.4 Adj kms per day
Oct 4th revised transportation 16:55 Vueling flight transferring in Barcelona arriving in Aviles 00:19 Oct 5th
Comment: A viable alternative. Same comment for Vueling flights. One entry to SdC however eliminates current Plan 5 Fall 2025 4 hr Oct 7th bus transportation to Luarca
__________________________________________________________________________
Final Decision
![]() |
| An interesting slip sliding challenge on a PEI red mud road after rain π§️ |
| Then the infamous UK Coast to Coast walk in 2023 with Greg. Have to hand it to Greg considering this was his first long walk…I mean he now focuses on 800m and 400m races...he was very strong! An unforgettable experience as we battled our way through the Lake District in constant rain and fording numerous wild streams...often thigh deep π . I do not expect to ever repeat a walk like this! |
![]() |
| Walking partners including Nepal 1996 trek through Khumbu Valley to within 2 days of Everest Base Camp with Pa and brother Marc |
![]() |
| Packing list #1 |
![]() |
| Packing list #2 |
![]() |
| Packing list # 3 |
![]() |
| Packing list # 4 |
![]() |
| Packing list # 5 |
![]() |
| …because of my shoes π |















No comments:
Post a Comment