Wednesday 19 April 2023

Shocked and Very Saddened - Kumano Kodo 2015 Dual Pilgrim Update

This is an incredibly difficult blog post to write. I am feeling very worried and extremely sad concerning the recent developments regarding Patricia’s journey to become a Dual Pilgrim. Her message to me sent April 8th at 20:21pm Japan time is shown in my intended blog posting below. I was overjoyed to hear from Patricia...wished her well...and the memories of my Kumano Kodo walk came flooding back.

Her reply to me April 9th at 5:51 am “I will take a look and take a picture at Honda”. A followup text from me sent an hour later was read.

My plan was to send the blog posting below “as is” tonight. Something pushed me to do a Google search “Patricia Wu Dual Pilgrim” and the following newspaper article was the first in the news feed.


Article indicated that Patricia, 61, recent retiree and avid hiker was reported missing when she moi did not check in to her accommodation on April 10th. Police searched for 72 hours...stopped...family from US have hired a private search party. Patricia's husband of 32 years and 2 of their 3 adult children have flown to Japan. 

Patricia was walking the Shikoku 88 pilgrimage which is 1,200 kms long. To achieve the Dual Pilgrim status from where Patricia contacted me is 65 kms long. Between the time I messaged Patricia on April 9th and her reported missing date is certainly less than 2 days. The newspaper article was written April 19th or over a week after Patricia was reported missing.

Another news story indicated that Patricia’s husband last heard from her April 7th and that the family wondered if she had been missing since April 8th. The article has a helpfindpattie gmail account setup asking for any information…I have forwarded all my April 8th correspondence with Patricia along with associated times. More information they have to work with the better…such a helpless feeling.

To describe my feelings and certainly those of Paulo as well when he reads this is one of extreme confusion...sadness...and hope that Patricia is located safely. We met Patricia on numerous occasions while walking the Camino Primitivo …she is someone whose enthusiasm and positivity simply stick with you.

I was going to scrap the entire blog posting below however thought no...I am sure Patricia would have been joyous to know that she triggered positive memories for me and who knows maybe the act of publishing somehow leads to something positive for Patricia and her family. I have not edited my intended blog posting after hearing this news.

I will admit that my words in the blog posting “Timing is everything” really hurt at this moment. 🥲 Consider hugging someone you care about today.

***********************************************************************************
A Special Surprise - Kumano Kodo 2015 Dual Pilgrim Update

Sometimes life throws the most amazing surprises at you! A couple of weeks ago...out of the blue...I received the following message from Patricia an American Pilgrim whom Paulo and I met while walking the 2022 Camino Primitivo. Patricia...as described in previous blog postings was the superstar of the 2022 Japanese Camino Primitivo Documentary. 


Patricia 

Patricia’s message...


“ Hello, I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to let you know I am on the Kumano Kodo Kohechi today. I’m going to be a Dual Pilgrim just like you 🙂. I also wanted to let you know that you made it into the Japanese documentary on Camino Santiago”.

I texted Patricia back and wished her a great Kumano  Kodo as well as asking a special favour... Day 3 link below provides the details behind what was a remarkable day…my 15 minutes of fame.

A Dual Pilgrim is defined as someone who has walked the two UNESCO recognized pilgrimage walks…Way of St. James (received Compostela for walking 100kms or more into Santiago de Compostela) and the Kumano Kodo both over a 1,000 years old.

Patricia’s message triggered many happy memories….

In April 2014 I walked the Way of St. James ( Camino Frances) and in March 2015 the Kumano Kodo.

Arriving in Hongu Taisha Center March 25, 2015 I was stunned to learn that I was the 5th person to earn the Dual Pilgrim designation and the 1st Canadian! Timing is everything 🤣! I was ushered to a special table glass display where the photos of the first 4 Dual Pilgrims were displayed and was excitedly told that my picture would be “right there” besides #4 😊.

I asked Patricia as a special favour to take a peak at this table display…confirm if in fact my mug shot is there and if so please send me a picture.

Is this in the Hongu Taisha Center Display?


Compostela stamps required for Dual Pilgrim 

Curiosity once again got the best of me as I wondered what has transpired since 2015 regarding the Dual Pilgrim status. Through brute force data mining…had a few hours to spare 😊 I created the following info for Japan 🇯🇵,Spain 🇪🇸 Canada 🇨🇦 and Brazil 🇧🇷. Country totals indicate pilgrims…of note COVID year Dual Pilgrim numbers are skewed in Japan’s favour for obvious reasons.

Total Compostela’s issued since 2003 (per 100,000 population)

All countries -             4,167,685 
Spain -                         2,174,250 (4,645)
Canada -                          54,318  (140)
Brazil -                             53,240  (25)
Japan -                             14,565   (12)

Total Dual Pilgrim certificates since 2015 (per 100,000 Compostela’s issued)

All countries -                    3,684 (88)
Spain -                                   348 (16)
Canada -                                111 (204)
Brazil -                                    34  (64)
Japan -                                  973  (668)

Paulo you really need to walk the Kumano Kodo and do Brazil proud. Canada you are doing quite well!  


If interested in the backstory to the Kumano Kodo walk links to the 6 blog entries from 2015 are included below. Food, scenery photos including the very special cherry blossom time, practical Kumano Kodo info, NO MATH and well a little story telling 😉 are featured in these blogs. 


I am asked whether I wish to repeat specific Camino walks or the Kumano Kodo. While all were very meaningful experiences my thinking is that a new walk is the best adventure...there is so much to see...why do the same walk twice?

Having said that the Kumano Kodo is the one walk where an exception is very possible...it was that special. I was alone...language issues were laughable...signage could be a tad difficult at times to follow yet I managed quite well...frankly it boosts one’s confidence to successfully navigate the various challenges. Japanese people are so incredibly kind and welcoming and the food…delicious and presented in an art form!!!

Hmmm 🤔 ...2031...I will be 74 years young...the same age as my Dad was when he walked with my brother Marc and me in Nepal over 200 kms in the Khumbu Valley towards Everest. Grandchildren will be a little older..Rose who was born in Tokyo Japan (16), Elodie (13) and Rishi (9). Might they be excited to walk the 5 day Kumano Kodo with their Papi (assuming all is still good!)? If other grandchildren arrive they would of course be welcome to join…as well as any other helping hands for sure.

Seems reasonable…ok maybe not an iron clad plan but all plans need a creative initial idea 😊

Unfortunately this blog posting has an uncertain ending…Patricia was on the Kohechi Kumano Kodo route (an even more mountainous route than Nakahechi route that I walked) on April 8th…a 4 day walk. Follow up texts unanswered…no Dual Pilgrim picture on the official website. Paulo and I both know Patricia is a very strong walker…whether she finished the walk or not I dearly hope to hear from Patricia soon.

Island Walk PEI now 28 days away…potential GPX solution to mitigate getting lost and a new name for the walk…Camino de la Shuttle…courtesy from my good friend Ken 😊. Has a nice ring to it 😂


*************************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment