Saturday 21 January 2023

Dr. Olga - Thank You 🙏 Finally!

I have been waiting a very very long time for this post which is so very special to me...it feels so good to be writing this. 

In my Day 3 October 2, 2022 Camino San Salvador posting I mentioned Secondino and Julia as Camino Angels...defined as ”someone who displayed extreme kindness to me at exactly the right time.”

On March 9, 2018 I met the kind and caring Dr. Olga at the Vita Saude clinic in Porto, Portugal and so began a physical healing which saw me through the 280 km Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago de Compostela.

On January 19, 2023, after many attempts, I was finally able to express my thanks to Dr. Olga as Paulo my good Brazilian friend delivered my package to Dr. Olga while on vacation with his family in Porto. A small thank you consisting of a letter, a small Inukshuk soap stone Inuit carving, a description of what this symbol means and a certificate of authenticity.

Dr. Olga with certificate

Dr. Olga with Inukshuk carving and Paulo

Here is a brief summary of why this was so meaningful...

Camino Portuguese 2018 - 1st week

March 4 - Left Lisbon for a short 14 km day...the plan 613 kms over 21 days arriving in Santiago de Compostela March 25, 2018. It rained...poured buckets all day.

March 5 - 36 kms over 7.5 hrs of which 5 hrs were drenching wind whipped rains. Problem at end of day - two very large blisters on balls of feet. Paulo suggested surgery...I knew better and slapped on Compeed bandages and that stupid mistake sealed our fate. Actually poor equipment choices...socks that had a combined 2,000 kms previous walking and new trail shoes which I had not noticed were wide width really didn’t help much either.

March 7 - 54 kms later with substantial rain (250 mm total)...the outlook was bleaker than bleak.

March 8 - walked 1 km, looked at Paulo and admitted “can’t go on...sorry”. Paulo flagged down a bus, I took a train to that nights scheduled stop...Paulo walked there. I was done...mentally and physically...too painful. A joint decision was made to change plans...train to Porto March 9th and I saw Dr. Olga late afternoon (only available time that day...essentially got off train and hobbled to her clinic...talk about fortuitous timing!)

Dr. Olga worked for an hour on my feet...provided me with hope that IF I stayed off my feet for 3/4 days, bought new socks, changed dressings, smartened up and walked 20 kms a day thereafter I had a chance.

Most awkward hug ever!

March 12, 2018 - Dr. Olga provides green light

Porto to Santiago de Compostela

March 13 - walking resumes...moderately painful but felt doable

March 17 evening - Increasingly difficult foot issues. 1st contact when Paulo emails picture of feet to Dr. Olga asking for advice...she responds immediately with suggestions

March 18 evening - 2nd contact Paulo phoned Dr. Olga and she provided additional advice...it was a Sunday! Clearly at this point the walking was a little “difficult”

March 24 10:00 pm - 3rd contact and this is the one that most gets me… Dr. Olga phoned Paulo to say “Have not heard how Guy is doing for a while?...I have been a little worried!” Paulo reported that things were much better...I was walking...all thanks to her support. Clearly Paulo’s support as well!

March 25 - arrived (ok hobbling along) in Santiago de Compostela on the same day as originally planned...but oh what a journey! We had some great moments in that walk however I was never so glad to stop walking! Told myself that I had to express my thanks to Dr. Olga in some way when I returned home. 

Post Camino Portuguese

March 31, 2018 - Went to Gallery Indigena (after consulting with my golfing buddy and art connoisseur extraordinaire Ken regarding a Canadian gift and where could I buy such) and bought the Inukshuk.

April 2, 2018 - 1st mail out to Dr. Olga...some time later package comes back undelivered

December 11, 2018 - 2nd mail out to Dr. Olga...same result

May 5, 2019 - 3rd mail out to Dr. Olga...same result

Each mail out was reviewed in detail with a Canada Post employee...”Am I missing something...anything unclear"..."no good to go”

I parked the box (had been rewrapped a few times by now) and thought someday I will be in Porto again and I will hand deliver it. While walking the Camino Primitivo with Paulo he mentioned that he would be in Porto mid Jan 2023...”Why don’t you send it to me in Recife and I will go see Dr. Olga”...sooo...

Oct 18, 2022 - 4th mail out except this time to Brazil. 

Dec 20, 2022 - Paulo received the package...64 days later...did I think it would ever get there 😳?

Jan 19, 2023 - Paulo delivers the package and my thanks to Dr. Olga who I understand was very pleased...how could she remember me?...how could she not?...1,778 days after I first met Dr. Olga...at the same address where we first saw her and where all the packages were sent! 

Consider this - Dr. Olga’s initial charge was 40 Euros...final bill same 40 Euros...she never wanted/accepted anything more.

Final Thoughts/Questions

  • Would I have completed the Camino Portuguese? - With all due respect to Paulo who was incredibly helpful (he also received a Inukshuk little gift)...100% No...would have had to leave Portugal within the 1st week.
  • Would I have given up on long walks? - I’d like to think no however I am pretty sure the chances would have been quite high given how I totally screwed up.
  • Would I have walked the 2022 Caminos, planned my two 2023 walks (Island Walk, Coast to Coast), self published my 4th book (for my eyes only), potentially stared in upcoming Japanese Film Documentary, met new walking friends (Pierre, John & Carmel) and look forward to a two week 2024 Camino with Paulo? - All the same answer as the 2nd question above.
Volume 4

That’s the power of kindness. That’s the power of caring. That is why I am so thankful for having met Dr. Olga. Believe me there are other Dr. Olga’s in this world...I really hope you get to meet them at the right time as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment