Friday 6 December 2013

Via Podiensis (November 1, 2013) - Day 54 Aire-sur-l'Adour to Arzack-Arrizguet

Today was another long day at 33 kms over 7 hours in once again perfect walking conditions. I felt very strong in comparison to yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the day. The views of the Pyrennes, which are at the France/Spain border were outstanding!

Last night's supper was one of the best in quite a while. Attendees were the 2 Belgium couples, Anna from Austria, Georges, Jean-Michel, Cyrille and me.

Vegetable soup
Appetizer plate - four shared this
Ah the chicken!
Chocolate Mousse
Anna has walked from Austria to Enseldein Switzerland then took the train to Le Puy en Velay due to cold weather. She has injured herself therefore has arranged for a car ride to Arzack. I gave her a Canadian lapel pin.

At breakfast this morning the 2 Belgium couples were joined by another couple for the day's walk...3 extroverted sisters...what noise! I gave the new couple Canadian lapel pins as well as a lady sitting by herself.

It turns out she was in Canada for. period of 6 weeks on a cross country trip...she loved Canada and want to return someday. I also gave the hotel owner 3 Canadian lapel pins...he has a young son...he was really thankful...sympa he said.

Guess what...I was the first one gone at 8:15...the difference though is that I stayed in front all day until 1:30 when Georges caught up to me for lunch...think he was driving himself pretty hard to catch up. A few pictures from the day:






Not a nuclear power plant!





Pyrennes
A rare shelter for Pilgrims
Dangerous bridge crossing
Nice welcome sign




Getting there!
12th Century church


At some point I met a couple from Normandy France, Claude and Marie, who are walking from Lectoure to Pamplona. Claude completed the Via de Plata Spanish Camino route earlier this year.

I gave them 2 Canadian lapel pins at which point Claude said "I heard about you from others". I am clearly famous up and down the length of the The Puy route.

Only a few more days left...both happy and sad at the same time...no regrets.

Future Pilgrims

We are staying at the Community Accueil in Arzack. We have a room for 4...very clean and well laid out. Shower and toilet attached to the room! Demi pension is 23 euros therefore well worth it and recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment